In our wonderful state of North Carolina, everyone knows that summers are hot and humid. While this can be great for a day spent at the beach or by the pool, the high heat and humidity can wreak havoc on your possessions that are stored in an unprotected place. Think about how your garage feels in the summer—the heat is amplified by the sun beating down on the doors. It can get extremely hot with the lack of air conditioning.
That’s why climate-controlled storage is so important. Fluctuating temperatures can damage certain articles, especially if they are stored for long periods of time (think: an entire summer of hot months). If you are wondering what items are more susceptible to heat and humidity, here is a list of some things that definitely need climate-controlled storage:
- Food storage items
- Musical instruments (especially pianos and string instruments)
- Wood furniture (which is extremely sensitive to moisture and heat)
- Artwork (such as paintings)
- Computers, TVs, and other electronics
- Household appliances (mold can grow inside these)
- Real leather furniture or clothing items
If you have items that are not on this list, but you think might be sensitive to high temperatures, we would highly suggest climate-controlled storage. After all, it is always better to be safe than sorry!